WTSR Core - Open Course
Wind Turbine Safety Rules
About this course
To book onto a WTSR Course, please go to our Online Booking Portal or use the booking facility below.
Awarding Body: SafetyOn / Energy Institute
Date written/revised: 01/06/2021 - 4th Edition
The aim of ‘The Core Wind Turbine Safety Rules’ is to provide high quality and flexible delivered training and information to ensure the attendees have a full understanding of the Wind Turbine Safety Rules and how they are to be applied and implemented at site or by a Company. The training will also educate attendees to a level that adds to competence and allows formal authorization.
The programme provides opportunities for participants to develop and demonstrate knowledge and understanding, qualities, skills and other attributes in the areas listed below:
- Policy, Philosophy and Principles underpinning the WTSR.
- Understand how the Wind Turbine Safety Rules are positioned in the UK Legal Framework and why they must be implemented on site.
- Understand how the Wind Turbine Safety Rules are positioned in a Safety Management System and other Safety Rules, including from Risk Assessment to Safe System of Work.
- Understanding behaviours and attitudes in the application of the rules including the significance of risk perception and its effect on choice and behaviour (e.g. ‘Stop and Ask;
- How everyone can play a positive role in ‘leading by example’ in the application of the Wind Turbine Safety Rules and Personal Discipline)
- Being able to identify inherent dangers of a Wind Turbine and the safety precautions required to prevent risk.
- Understanding the effects of change on the application of the rules and how to correctly deal with emerging risk.
- Understand and formally accept roles and responsibilities within the Wind Turbine Safety Rules.
- Fully understand the importance of communication especially the ‘Transfer of Control’ procedure, means of communication, language, script for OC, implications of human error in relevant situations (ref: HSG 48).
- The importance of leading a ‘working party’ and how to enact Immediate and Personal Supervision where required.
- The importance of ‘General Safety’ and how it must be established before work starts, maintained throughout the task and the workplace left in a safe state at the end of the work.
- The influence and responsibilities of all roles requiring authorisation under the rules.
- The correct preparation and recording of Approved Written Procedures
- Understand the correct selection, checking, issue and use of Approved Written Procedures by Authorised Technicians.
- Defined work shall be reflected on the AWP.
- Work Flow of an AWP.
- When the WTSR apply, AWPs used, ROPs used – SRIC.
- When the WTSR do not apply.
- Definitions and defined terms.
- What is an exception; how to control the document; transfer AWP and surrender, safe custody etc.
- Technical competence to apply isolation.
- Restoration of motive power – managing a safe system of work when isolation is removed.
- Working live or without protection in place – generator alignment etc.; additional procedure – safe system of work.
- System Boundaries.
Knowledge & Understanding
- Understand the Hazards of a WTG Electro-Mechanical System and when Risk needs to be managed. Understand the principles of Emerging Risk.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the rules and their application in the working environments.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the behaviours that influence safety performance.
- Demonstrate technical knowledge of the wind turbines and how safety precautions are applied correctly.
- Demonstrate robust communication in all aspects of the Wind Turbine Safety Rules.
- Understand the interface between WTSR and wider safety management in achieving safety from the system.
Teaching & Learning Methods
Interactive learning, guided materials, case studies, supplemented by group exercises and open discussion.
End of Course Test
Programme Structure & Features
Language to be simple/practical with a focus on industry specific examples.
Support for Student Learning
Wind Turbine Safety Rules Training Workbook
Every 3 years
Cost for the Open course is £180 +VAT per person.
If you would like to schedule a Company course, please contact us on 01352 712260.